Thursday, April 29, 2010

[android-developers] Re: Gamine game engine 0.2

On Apr 29, 3:01 pm, AS <aurillia...@gmail.com> wrote:

> how long has gamine been around?

Let's see... I came up with the idea on Dec. 25. (I had lots of time
for thinking about it while sitting in the car on the way to and from
Christmas dinner.) So I started reading Android developer
documentation, downloaded the SDK on Dec. 31, wrote the first line of
Gamine code on Jan. 1, ordered a Nexus One about a week after that,
and released version 0.1 in late February. So she's still a young
thing. :)

> but because it didn't utilise the NDK it was far, far too slow.

I'm doing everything in Java, but I haven't found performance to be a
problem, at least on my N1. The graphics is all OpenGL, of course,
and the most important thing for performance is not to do any object
allocation at times when you care about speed. And of course you need
to choose algorithms carefully. But I've been doing 3D for a long
time, and I write physics engines for a living, so I have a pretty
good background on how to do that.

Which isn't to say that I'm not eagerly waiting for the Dalvik JIT to
be released. :)

> Can you give me any more details? Are there demo apps yet?

There are several examples included when you download it. They're
more targeted at "showing you how to use it" than "showing off what
the engine can do," but they still do the latter to some extent.

In terms of features, the main elements are rendering, physics, and
infrastructure. Rendering includes scene graph management, lighting,
texturing, mesh creation, etc. Physics currently means rigid body
simulation, including contact modeling and collision detection.
Infrastructure includes running the event loop, managing input, and
things like that. I can go into more detail about any of these you're
interested in.

Peter

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Real Estate