Monday, January 31, 2011

[android-developers] Handle preferences in BroadcastReceiver's

Hi,

I try to use my preferences within a broadcast receiver. I defined a
preferences activity thats build of a defined UI (layout xml alias
"prefrences.xml"). I am able to call the activity and edit the values.
There is a preferences xml under my device at "/data/data/
<MY_PACKAGE_NAME>/shared_prefs/<MY_PACKAGE_NAME>_preferences.xml" that
contains all of my values I defined in my layout.

In my broadcast receiver I tried to get a instance of my shared prefs.
The only way is to use the intent of the onReceive method:

...
public static final String PREFS_NAME = "preferences";
private SharedPreferences preferences;
...
public void onReceive(Context context, Intent intent {
...
preferences = getSharedPreferences(PREFS_NAME, 0);
Log.d("prefs contain key",
String.valueOf(preferences.contains("my_key")));
Log.d("prefs my_key is: ",
String.valueOf(preferences.getBoolean("my_key", false)));
...
)

I always got "false" for "my_key" and the contains key check is false
too. I checked the path of my preferences in debug mode, its "/data/
data/<MY_PACKAGE_NAME>/shared_prefs/<PREFS_NAME>" but this file does
not exists. I think I have to edit() and commit() first before
accessing this file.

My Question: am I able to get the preferences without create the new
file first and use the existing preferences file (/data/data/
<MY_PACKAGE_NAME>/shared_prefs/<MY_PACKAGE_NAME>_preferences.xml)?
There is no chance to obtain the preferences without the intent given
through the onReceive method!(?). My aim is to create notifications
based on preferences (vibration: on/off, sound: on/off, etc.) within
the broadcast receiver.

Hope someone can help me!
Thanks!
-Danny S.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Real Estate