Monday, January 31, 2011

[Rails] RVM and Rails

Hi

I am wondering what is the best practice for using gemsets with rails
projects.

What is the correct workflow for developing multiple rails3 projects
each with its own gemset. SPECIFICALLY I am not sure where I do a "gem
install rails" when I will have more than one rails project. Do I need
to "gem install rails" in each gemset? Or can I "gem install rails" in
a directory named [say] ~/work/rail3...

WORKFLOW

In ~/work/rails3 I do

> rvm use ree@global
> gem install rails

This installs rails3 in global gemset

Now... In ~/work/rails3 I can

> rails new blog

This will create the rails directory structure in ~/work/rails3/blog

So... now I am in ~/work/rails3/blog and I want a gemset for this
project

So should I...

> rvm gemset create blog
> rvm use ree@blog

.... but I did "gem install rails" in @global and I am now one
directory deeper and in @blog so rails gems are not in there...
correct? Do I need to do a "gem install rails" in @blog?

I feel I am not getting the workflow correct for using RVM and
rails....

Any help? God bless you!

Shawn

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group.
To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk?hl=en.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Real Estate